This morning I made brunch with the Quilted crew, who it just so happens built this very website. Which makes it extra fun to blog our meal.
I made french toast (recipe below) and tempeh bacon (recipe from Isa Chandra Moskowitz’s awesome Vegan Brunch). Ben made vegan pancakes and tofu scramble. Yeah. we had a lot of food. It was very, very good. There was maple syrup involved.
Here’s how to make the french toast:
- 1 can coconut milk
- some (a half cup?) almond milk (you can use soy or anything else you have around if you want)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- spices of your choosing (I like 1 teaspoon of cardamom, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- a loaf of bread (can be stale or not; I like whole-grain sourdough or something with cranberries and pumpkin seeds in it)
- some oil (olive, canola, coconut) or non-hydrogenated margarine for the pan
- Combine all the ingredients except the bread and the oil in a casserole or large, shallow bowl and mix well.
- Heat a skillet or griddle pan over medium-high heat and add some fat.
- Dip slices of bread into the mixture; make sure they are soaked through.
- Put them in your hot skillet. Check them after a few minutes, and every minute or so after that. Flip them when they’re browned to your liking.
You can put any number of things on top (maple syrup, fruit compote, margarine, coconut butter), or not. Delicious either way.